Women's National Team Competition System
Coming into effect in November 2019, this system sets out the road to all of FIBA's main women's competitions over a four-year cycle: the Women's Olympic Basketball Tournament, the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup and the FIBA Women's Continental Cups.
Following an extraordinary meeting of the FIBA Executive Committee concerning the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on FIBA competitions, the FIBA Calendar was updated in April 2020.
- Qualification for the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup through the Qualifying Tournaments instead of through the FIBA Women's Continental Cups, which become stand-alone events.
- The final standings at the previous edition of the Women’s Continental Cups determine which teams participate in the Pre-Qualifying Tournaments in three regions (Africa, Asia-Oceania and Americas*), for both Olympic Games and Women's World Cup.
- Olympic Games 2020 qualification to be played as tournaments, with Pre-Qualifying Tournaments played in three regions (Africa, Asia-Oceania and Americas*) and 4 global FIBA Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournaments 2020 (WOQTs) after.
- Four global FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 Qualifying Tournaments to qualify 12 teams to women's basketball main event. In accordance to the April 2020 update of the FIBA Calendar, teams will secure berths in the qualifying tournaments directly via their respective FIBA Women's Continental Cups 2021.
- The host of the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022, Australia, and the winner of the Women's Olympic Basketball Tournament from the Tokyo Olympic Games, USA, will participate in those qualifiers, however, they do receive automatic qualification for the FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022.
Click on image for the timeline in pdf
The FIBA Women's Olympic Pre-Qualifying Tournaments will take place across three regions, Africa, the Americas, and Asia-Oceania from November 10 – 18, 2019.
The FIBA Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournaments will take place from February 6 – 9, 2020 in the host cities of Belgrade, Serbia, Bourges, France and Ostend, Belgium.
The Tokyo 2020 Women's Olympic Basketball Tournament will take place in Summer 2021 after the Olympic Games were postponed to July 23 – August 8, 2021.
The four FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 Qualifying Tournaments will take place in February 2022.
The FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 will take place from September 22 - October 1, 2022, in Sydney, Australia.