FIBA Data protection notice
The Fédération Internationale de Basketball, Route Suisse, 5, PO Box 29, 1295 Mies, Switzerland (“FIBA”) is aware that you care about how your personal information is used and shared, and appreciates your trust that FIBA will do so carefully and sensibly. This Data Protection Notice explains how FIBA and its affiliates (hereinafter “we”) process Personal Data. Throughout this Data Protection Notice, the term “Personal Data” means information relating to an identified or identifiable individual (i.e. a natural person), e.g. name, address, telephone number etc. This Notice applies to the collecting or processing of your Personal Data.
This Data Protection Notice has been drafted in English and has been translated into other languages. In the event of any discrepancy between the English and the translated texts, the English text shall prevail.
1. The collection of information
- How we use it?
The collection and use of your Personal Data will always have a lawful basis, either because it is necessary for our performance of a contract with you, because you have consented to our use of your Personal Data or because it is in our legitimate interests. Specifically, we may use your Personal Data for the following purposes: to manage your registration, your profile or your accreditation, to manage your licenses, to provide the necessary support for your transfer, to administer your membership, to create your team profile, to provide and improve the FIBA Digital Platforms (e.g. FIBA websites, applications, etc), services, or FIBA content, their features, to communicate with you and to enable users to enjoy all other services.
We apply very high data protection standards. In particular, we will not disclose any Personal Data to third parties unless authorized to do so by law or by virtue of your consent (which does not in any way restrict our rights as provided by the applicable laws).
- What do we collect from you?
The Personal Data collected may include but is not limited to the following personal information: email address, last name, first name, country of residence, date of birth, gender, screen name, password, ID addresses and opt-in for game and FIBA content preferences. In order to process some of your transactions through the FIBA Digital Platforms, we may also ask for your credit card number and billing information.
- How long will we keep your personal data?
We will retain your personal information on our systems only for as long as we need it, given the purposes for which it was collected, or as required to do so by law. We keep contact information (such as mailing list information) until a user unsubscribes or requests that we delete that information. If you choose to unsubscribe from a mailing list, we may keep certain limited information about you so that we may honour your request.
- The policy towards children
FIBA is concerned about the safety and privacy of all its users, particularly children. We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 18 or knowingly allow such persons to provide us with their personal information without verifiable parent or guardian consent.
- Your rights
You have certain rights related to your personal data. These rights include:
- The right to be informed about our collection and use of your personal information;
- The right to access the personal information we have stored concerning you and the purpose for which it was stored;
- The right to ask for data correction if any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete;
- The right to be forgotten, meaning the right to ask us to delete personal data;
- The right to restrict the processing of your personal information;
- The right of portability (obtaining a copy of your Personal Data to be transferred to another data controller);
- The right to object using your Personal Data for particular purposes;
- The right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data, given that the processing is based on your consent;
- You may also submit a complaint to the responsible data protection supervisory authority.
If you want to contact us, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may require you to provide verification of your identity. Please note that in certain circumstances we may withhold access to your Personal Data where we have the right to do so under current data protection legislation.
- Information sharing and disclosure
FIBA will not sell or rent your Personal Data without your consent. Nevertheless, FIBA may send your Personal Data to third party service providers, governing bodies for basketball or FIBA partners when:
- FIBA has your consent to share the Personal Data ;
- FIBA needs to share your Personal Data to provide the product or service you have requested;
- FIBA needs to send your Personal Data to third parties who work on behalf of FIBA to provide a product or service to you (unless otherwise stated so, these third parties do not have any rights to use the Personal Data provided by FIBA beyond what is necessary to provide a product or service to you);
- FIBA is required to share your Personal Data by courts or authorities; or
- FIBA believes it is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, emergency situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of any of our terms and conditions, breach of FIBA’s regulations or as otherwise required by law.
- Other data protection information
- International data transfers
Your Personal Data may be processed outside the country where you are located depending on the location third party service providers, governing bodies for basketball or FIBA partners who are permitted to access such Personal Data under the terms of this Data Protection Notice. Consequently, you acknowledge that Personal Data which is accessible to other users may be transferred to countries that do not benefit from the same level of Data Protection.
In such cases, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Data is treated safely and securely.
FIBA may set and access FIBA's cookies on your computer. A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier, which is sent to your browser when you visit a website and stored on your computer's hard drive. FIBA uses its own cookies for a number of purposes, mainly to:
- Access your information when you "sign in", so that we can provide you with customized content;
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using FIBA services;
- Estimate and report our total audience size and traffic;
- Conduct research and development to improve our contents and services and achieve and maintain a high service level;
- FIBA may allow third parties that are presenting promotions or researching user response to advertisement on some of our pages to set and access their own cookies on your computer. Third parties' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies and not this one.
- Links to other sites
If you can access other websites through links provided, those websites do not operate under this FIBA Data Protection Notice. If you choose to visit an advertiser or click on another third-party link, you will be directed to that third party’s website. We do not exercise control over third-party websites and therefore recommend you examine the privacy statements posted on these other websites to understand their procedures for collecting, using and disclosing personal information.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to FIBA. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your account ID, login password or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited email or telephone communication.
If you communicate with FIBA by e-mail, through our Social media platform, or through other communication internet channels, you should note that the secrecy of internet is uncertain. By sending sensitive or confidential messages or information which are not encrypted you accept the risk of such uncertainty and possible lack of confidentiality over the Internet. In certain areas, FIBA uses industry standard SSL encryption to protect data transmissions.
- Changes to this Data Protection Notice
We reserve the right to amend this Data Protection Notice at any time without providing reasons. If we amend this Data Protection Notice, any changes will be immediately posted on the FIBA Website and you will be deemed to have accepted the terms of the Data Protection Notice on your first use. We shall place an updated version on this page of the FIBA website. The FIBA website and/or the FIBA Apps may also provide notices of changes to this Data Protection Notice or other matters by displaying notices or links to notices.
Should you have any questions or comments on our Data Protection Notice, please do not hesitate to contact us : email@example.com.
- Jurisdiction and application law
In the event that the provisions of this Data Protection Notice conflict with the provisions of third-party similar documents, the provisions of this Data Protection Notice shall prevail.
This Data Protection Notice and all matters arising out of or related to this Data Protection Notice shall be governed by the substantive laws of Switzerland, without regard to conflicts of laws and principles thereof.
Any controversy, claim or dispute between you and FIBA arising out of or relating to this Data Protection Notice shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent Court of Arbitration of Sports of the City of Lausanne, and each party hereby irrevocably consents to the jurisdiction and venue of such Court.