Follow FIBA on Facebook
Basketball community embraces new .basketball digital identity
MIES, Switzerland - Some significant milestones have been achieved by FIBA in its objective to establish a new digital identity, linking the global basketball community together via the .basketball Top Level Domain.
Adoption and use of .basketball names is rapidly occurring in all segments of the basketball family.
FIBA led the way, changing its digital identity to fiba.basketball and also establishing .basketball domain names for its premier events:
- FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 in China: WorldCup.basketball;
- Continental Cups: AfroBasket.basketball, AmeriCup.basketball, AsiaCup.basketball, EuroBasket.basketball;
- Basketball Champions League: ChampionsLeague.basketball;
- 3x3 Basketball: FIBA3x3.basketball.
FIBA has received a tremendous response with a wide variety of the game's stakeholders excitedly moving to embrace the .basketball digital identity. Since the project was launched on June 15, some of the basketball world's foremost entities have adopted .basketball:
- National Federations: Canada: Canada.basketball; Lithuania: LTU.basketball; Tunisia: Tunisia.basketball; New Zealand: NZ.basketball; Puerto Rico: Puertorico.basketball; Switzerland: Swiss.basketball;
- International Federation: the International Wheelchair Basketball Federation (IWBF): Wheelchair.basketball;
- Clubs: Australian NBL club New Zealand Breakers: NZBreakers.basketball; Slovenian national champion Olimpija Ljubljana: Olimpija.basketball; and German club MHP RIESEN Ludwigsburg: MHP-Riesen.basketball;
- Basketball Camp: United States' famed Five-Star Basketball Camp program: Fivestar.basketball;
- 3x3 player: FIBA 3x3 star and number one 3x3 player in the world Dusan Bulut: Bulut3x3.basketball.
Michele O'Keefe, Canada Basketball President & CEO, said: "Canada Basketball is thrilled to be included amongst the early adopters of the .basketball domain name as we continue to look for ways to strengthen our brand both on and off the court. Utilizing new and innovative ways to help tell the stories of our athletes and teams, we envision Canada.basketball as a future home for all things hoops in our country."
Dillon Boucher, General Manager of the SKYCITY Breakers, added: "We are excited to be amongst the innovators in claiming our new .basketball digital identity with NZBreakers.basketball. It is an honour to be chosen as a lead in making our brand and our community stronger with a .basketball domain name. Despite an increasingly crowded and noisy internet, .basketball not only makes it very clear who SKYCITY Breakers are, but it also unifies the rest of the global basketball community in one distinct home."
Working with its partner, Roar.basketball, FIBA is making a priority access available to all 213 of its National Federations, their respective members (leagues, clubs, players, etc.) as well as other key stakeholders of the basketball community.
FIBA (fiba.basketball) - the world governing body for basketball - is an independent association formed by 213 National Basketball Federations throughout the world. It is recognised as the sole competent authority in basketball by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
For further information about FIBA visit fiba.basketball or follow FIBA on facebook.com/fiba, twitter.com/fiba, instagram.com/fiba and youtube.com/fiba.