10 things you do not know about Germany
MANILA (Philippines) - We've reached the final day of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 and now we are just waiting for Germany and Serbia to face off in the Final. We've seen all their games and heard so much about them already.
But here are 10 things about German players that you might not have known.
10. David Kramer was born in Slovakia but grew up in Austria with a former professional basketball player (Roman Kramer) as a father.
9. German veteran forward Niels Giffey's aunt is Franziska Giffey, who used to be the mayor of Berlin from December 2021 to April 2023 and was the first woman to hold that office.
8. Justus Hollatz grew up in Hamburg and made the game-winning shot to help Hamburg Towers earn promotion from Germany's second division to the BBL. That 2019 moment came shortly after his 18th birthday.
7. Isaac Bonga's older brother Tarsis Bonga plays professional football in Germany's third division for cult club 1860 Munich.
6. It's pretty well known that he is the sole owner in his boyhood club Basketball Lowen Braunschweig, but before playing there German star playmaker Dennis Schroder used to be a passionate skateboader.
5. Germany's NBA big man Daniel Theis in March 2023 announced he joined the ownership group of the Rhode Island FC football club in Pawtucket, Rhode Island in the USL Championship league.
4. Johannes Voigtman did not really play basketball until he was 15 years old, taking up mainly handball but many other sports as well.
3. Maodo Lo’s mother Elvira Bach is a postmodernist painter and has her works displayed at the MOMA in New York.
2. Franz and Moritz Wagner, Axel Wagner, is a former professional player and coach in Germany. Also their mother is from West Germany and father is from the former East Germany.
1. Semi-Finals hero Andreas Obst is a massive Star Wars fan, an avid reader of all the spin off books who always watched all the movies and series.