Chisinau is the capital of the Republic of Moldova, in addition to being the largest city in the country. The city is situated in the middle of the country, on the river Bic. Along with being the largest city in the Republic of Moldova, the city is also considered to be the industrial and commercial center of the country.
Chisinau has a humid continental climate, characterized by hot dry summers.In summer, the average maximum temperature is approximately 25°C (77°F), however, temperatures sometimes reach 35 to 40°C (95 to 104°F) in mid-summer in downtown.
Although average precipitation and humidity during summer is low, there are infrequent yet heavy storms.
- Facts about Chisinau and the Republic of Moldova:
- Population of the country was 2,998,235 people according to the 2014 census.
- The estimated population of Chisinau was around 686,000 people in 2017.
- The official language of the Republic of Moldova is Romanian.
- Many people also speak Russian.
- Some minority languages include Ukrainian, Gagauz, and Bulgarian.
- The Republic of Moldova is home to the largest wine cellar in the world, which stretches for an impressive 200km underground.