One of the key principles of 3x3 is it is open to everyone. The eligibility rules for 3x3 at the Olympics are flexible enough to attract players and countries from all around the world.
National Associations Eligibility
Only National Olympic Committees with National Associations which comply with the following criteria are eligible to participate in the Olympic Games:
- Have at least 3 FIBA 3x3 competitions within their territory registered on FIBA’s digital platform from November 2, 2018 to November 1, 2019.
- Have at least one staff member with a valid FIBA 3x3 e-learning certification by November 1, 2019.
4-player roster of Olympic 3x3 teams:
- 2 players ranked within the top 10 of their country,
- 2 players ranked within the Top 50 of their country OR have the minimum quantity of ranking points.
Athletes must comply with the specific nationality criteria for 3x3:
- They must hold legal nationality of the represented country
- They must have presented a passport of the represented country issued by competent authorities before January 1, 2019
- They cannot have played for the national team in basketball and/or 3x3 for another country in an Official Competition of FIBA
- They must be at least 18 years old on July 24, 2021.
Finally, all athletes must comply with the provisions of the Olympic Charter currently in force, including but not limited to Rule 43 (World Anti-Doping Code and the Olympic Movement Code on the Prevention of Manipulation of Competitions) and have a confirmed account at https://play.fiba3x3.com.