Everything you need to know before the final week of action in the Second Round
MUNICH (FIBA Europe Cup) - There will be a lot of moving pieces on the final week of the Second Round with the Round of 16 field to be determined by results in the FIBA Europe Cup and the Basketball Champions League.
With 10 teams having already confirmed their berths, there are six Play-Off spots remaining across the two competitions and a healthy number of contenders still in the running for them.
In the FIBA Europe Cup, all eight direct qualification tickets are already off the table and so is one of the three currently available 'lucky loser' spots. However, there could be extra places on the line if Basketball Champions League clubs that opted in to join the Round of 16 finish outside the qualification positions.
We break it all down, group by group.
- Szolnoki Olaj v s.Oliver Wurzburg (H2H: Wurzburg +47, 118-71)
- Z Mobile Prishtina v Pinar Karsiyaka (H2H: Karsiyaka +22, 107-85)
- s.Oliver Wurzburg are guaranteed to finish first in the standings;
- Pinar Karsiyaka are guaranteed to finish second in the standings;
- Szolnoki Olaj will finish third in the standings as long as they win or Pinar Karsiyaka beat Z Mobile Prishtina;
- To move into third place, Z Mobile Prishtina have to win and hope s.Oliver Wurzburg beat Szolnoki Olaj.
- Alba Fehervar v Ironi Ness Ziona (H2H: Alba +23, 93-70)
- Lukoil Levski v Balkan BC (H2H: Balkan +24, 81-57)
- Wins for Balkan and Alba Fehervar: 1. Balkan 2. Alba 3. Ness Ziona;
- Wins for Balkan and Ness Ziona: 1. Ness Ziona 2. Balkan 3. Alba;
- Wins for Levski and Alba Fehervar: 1. Alba 2. Ness Ziona 3. Balkan;
- Wins for Levski and Ness Ziona: 1. Ness Ziona 2. Balkan 3. Alba;
- Lukoil Levski are guaranteed to finish fourth in the standings.
- Dinamo Sassari v Petrolina AEK (H2H: Sassari +7, 96-89)
- Pallacanestro Varese v Donar Groningen (H2H: Varese +6, 73-67)
- Dinamo Sassari will finish first in the standings as long as they win or Donar Groningen beat Pallacanestro Varese;
- To move into first place, Pallacanestro Varese have to win and hope Petrolina AEK beat Dinamo Sassari;
- Donar Groningen will finish third in the standings as long as they win or if Dinamo Sassari beat Petrolina AEK;
- To move into third place, Petrolina AEK have to win and hope Pallacanestro Varese beat Donar Groningen.
- Kataja Basket v ZZ Leiden (H2H: Leiden +15, 87-72)
- Bakken Bears v Avtodor Saratov (H2H: Avtodor +11, 71-60)
- Avtodor Saratov will finish first in the standings as long as they don't lose to Bakken Bears by more than 10 points;
- To move into first place, Bakken Bears have to beat Avtodor Saratov by at least 11 points;
- ZZ Leiden will finish third in the standings as long as they don't lose to Kataja Basket by more than 15 points;
- To move into third place, Kataja Basket have to beat ZZ Leiden by at least 16 points.
Basketball Champions League
- Group A: Ventspils will join the FIBA Europe Cup if they win against Sidigas Avellino or Le Mans beat Anwil;
- Group B: Telekom Baskets Bonn are confirmed to join the FIBA Europe Cup;
- Group B: UNET Holon will join the FIBA Europe Cup if they lose to Nanterre 92;
- Group C: CEZ Nymburk will join the FIBA Europe Cup if they win and one of Dijon and Lietkabelis lose or if Nymburk lose, Dijon win and Fuenlabrada beat Lietkabelis;
- Group D: Filou Oostende will join the FIBA Europe Cup if they lose to SIG Strasbourg.
Extra Qualification Spots
There will be at least three extra slots to be filled by 'lucky losers' from the Second Round, with that number potentially rising to as many as seven (five after UNET Holon and Ventspils locked in their berths on Tuesday) in the outmost scenario.
For every Basketball Champions League team that does not finish in a position to join the the competition, an extra qualification spot will open up for FIBA Europe Cup teams who failed to qualify for the Round of 16 directly.
As there will be a minimum of three places for teams from the 'lucky loser' pool, the club that ends up in third place in Group J with a 3-2 record is guaranteed to be among the three best-ranked sides.
|1.||Alba Fehervar||9||3-3||+31||Group J||0|
|2.||ZZ Leiden||7||2-3||-70||Group L||1|
|3.||Donar Groningen||6||1-4||-23||Group K||1|
|4.||Szolnoki Olaj||6||1-4||-50||Group I||1|
|5.||Lukoil Levski||8||2-4||-58||Group J||0|
|6.||Z Mobile Prishtina||6||1-4||-61||Group I||1|
|7.||Petrolina AEK||6||1-4||-69||Group K||1|
|8.||Kataja Basket||6||1-4||-107||Group L||1|
*Updated after Tuesday's games